Friday, November 12, 2010

A Tale of Two Sisters - Korea

          Director:  Ji-woon Kim
          Year:  2003
          Plot:  "Two sisters who, after spending time in a mental institution, return to the home of their father and cruel stepmother. Once there, in addition to dealing with their stepmother's obsessive and unbalanced ways, an interfering ghost also affects their recovery."


          So I finally decided to watch this one after seeing it a number of times listed on peoples top Asian horror movies lists.  I have to say that it is a good movie.  I don't really consider it horror; there was nothing scary about it.  Now that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy the movie, it just wouldn't be on my top list of horror movies.  More like top list of mystery or thriller movies, seen as I reserve top horror for those that actually scare me.
          Anyways, like I said I did enjoy this movie.  It was really well made and the plot kept you guessing until the end, and I am saying this having known what the truth was about the girls, somebody spoiled it for me.  Even knowing that little plot twist, I was still surprised by the results of the movie.  Even though the stepmother or what ever wasn't as bad as she is portrayed, I still couldn't stand her.  The whole thing was her fault anyway.  She could have tried to save everyone from the pain they go through, but instead she walks away.
          The relationship of the girls is touching and leads to a sad movie.  This is another reason I wouldn't classify this as horror.  Though there have been other movies that have been touching and even made me cry, but have still been horror, but that is because they actually had scary scenes.  Like I said, this one did not have any scares in it for me, but the movie was wonderful.


          This is one movie that has been suggested many times, and rather rightfully so.  If you want something really scary, put this one off for later, but definitely watch it.  The story is so well done, it won't be a waste of your time.


No comments:

Post a Comment