Friday, November 12, 2010

Ju-Rei - Japan

          Director:  Koji Shiraishi
          Year:  2004
          Plot:  "Japanese school girls die violently after seeing a man wearing a black hood."


          So many said that this movie wasn't all that great, but I decided to watch it anyway.  This movie is the lame version of Ju-on.  It isn't anything special, though it did get two jumps out of me.  It still wasn't scary.  The jumps only came because of things popping out of no where.  The ghosts were rather boring.  They have nothing on Kayako.
          The one thing this movie did have going for it, was the way it was told.  I did enjoy the chapter idea where they went from chapter 10 back to the beginning.  This brought about an interesting aspect to a movie that would have otherwise been a complete and utter waste of time.
          I actually stuck around to the end because I wanted to know how the whole thing started.  The problem was that they don't tell that part very well.  Sure they show you pieces through the news clip and the teachers story, but that's about it.  You never really find out about this black shadowed person, just the fact that its scary and going to kill you if it touches you.
          Not exactly the best plot starting point if you ask me.  I think it may have been better if they elaborated more on the original ghost figure and not focused on the mother and child.  The original ghost started everything, yet as far as I can tell, we never even saw it.


          This is not a movie I would suggest.  Sure it got a few jumps but that wasn't because the ghosts were scary.  Also the format of the storytelling was interesting as it was being told backwards, but it didn't save the movie from being average.


No comments:

Post a Comment