Monday, November 1, 2010

Into the Mirror - Korea

          Director: Sung-ho Kim
          Year:  2003
          Plot:  "Woo Yeong-min retired from the police force after trying to save his partner and causing his death.  He must face both his own fear of mirrors and the mystery surrounding the fire that closed down the mall."


          Again, I have to admit that I watched the remake and the sequel to the remake before having ever watched this one.  Few things about the remakes first.  The first one was "scary".  It didn't get me, though I thought it was a good movie, but it did get my sister quite a few times.  The problem with the first remake was that a lot of it didn't make sense.  I just didn't understand how the mirrors worked even at the end.  It was never explained to the audience about the rules of the mirrors.  Also the whole demon thing was a little irritating.  Once again, you have to face a religion being forced on you through a movie.  If you aren't religious and don't believe in demons, this one just didn't work on the plot level.  Though it was an okay movie as far as horror goes.
          Now for the remakes sequel.  I found this one to be rather enjoyable.  It was hard to keep from laughing when Christy Carlson Romano was in the shower and awaiting her end scene.  It wasn't because there was anything funny about her.  No, my sister was just having a major issue with seeing the sister from Even Stevens naked.  When she finally covered her eyes, I was able to see a pretty great death scene.  The death scenes looked much better in this one.  I had an issue with the jaw separation scene in the first one because it looked super fake, but the death scenes in this one were rather good.


          Finally, let's move on the the original.  I have to say that this one though not "scary", I doubt even my sister would be scared, but it has a great well put together story.  If you have already seen the remakes, this one fills in all of the holes, about how the mirrors actually work.  As an audience we are given the story about the world inside the mirrors and how even if you die on the outside of the mirror, you can still be living within it.  All of this is plainly stated in the movie during a scene with the main character's friend.  Now if I would have been told this during the remake, the movie would have made a lot more sense, thought the whole demon thing would have had to be ditched.
          The plot of this one is completely different from the first remake, with the "ghost" or "spirit" within the mirror being a lot like that of the Korean movie "Shutter".  By this I mean that the spirit isn't like Kayako the Grudge, killing everyone it comes in contact with; no, this one only kills those who it has a previous involvement with.  Well, no more on that subject or I will give away too much (that is if you haven't seen Mirrors 2).


          Definitely check this movie out, even if you have seen the American remakes.  Into the Mirrors will allow you necessary insight into how the mirrors really work.  Even if you haven't seen the remakes, give this movie a watch.  It is a very intriguing story.


No comments:

Post a Comment