Friday, October 1, 2010

Nightmare Detective - Japan

          Director:  Shinya Tsukamoto
          Year:  2006
          Plot:  "Three people in Tokyo take a surreal voyage of self-discovery through memory and nightmares. "O" intends suicide while talking on a cell-phone with a stranger he meets on line who plans a simultaneous suicide. Events take a horrifying turn. Keiko Kirishima is a cool, seemingly emotionless police detective, brilliant but off-putting. She's faced with two mutilated corpses who appear to have killed themselves, but she's not sure. A cell-phone number links the deaths. She calls on Kyoichi Kagenuma, a poor and suicidal young man who has the ability to enter people's dreams. He's reluctant to help. His past haunts him. A subconscious duel of terror and blood awaits the three."


          The reason I even gave this one the chance I did, is because so many said that the second one was really good.  I don't like watching movies out of order if I can help it, so I gave this one a chance, ignoring the multitude of negative comments.  I wish I would have heeded those comments though.
          I didn't even finish this movie, which is unusual for me.  I even finished watching Whispering Corridors, but this one I just couldn't.  I watched the first few deaths and was in no way impressed.
         The storyline didn't develop itself well enough for me in the beginning.  I mean you start off seeing Kagenuma in a persons dream, then you go right to a girl wanting to die who then gets attacked by an invisible assailant and killed with scissors.  After that, you get to see a little investigating and the team going to Kagenuma to ask for help.  After one of the cops dies, I quit watching.  By then I had hoped to know at least a little bit.  Supposedly the person on the other end of the dial number 0 gets into your dreams and gets you to kill yourself.
          There was nothing about this one that made me want to keep watching it.  At least with Whispering Corridors I at least wanted to know which girl was really a ghost.  This one though I didn't really get the storyline enough to want to know the ending, nor did I care at all about the characters at that point.


          I would suggest skipping this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment