Saturday, September 25, 2010

Reincarnation - Japan







          Director:  Takashi Shimizu
          Year:  2005
          Plot:  "Nagisa Sugiura (Yuka) is a young Japanese actress who comes face to face with a slew of ghosts.  These restless spirits begin to appear when she signs on to star in a horror film which tells the true story about a crazed, local professor whose murderous rampage at a hotel left 11 guests dead, including his young son and daughter."

          I wasn't too sure I wanted to see this movie based on the stated plot.  It sounded decent, but I put it off for another movie that a lot of people said was great.  I wish I would have choose this one first.  It was definitely better than I had expected, but then again its co-writer and director is none other than Takashi Shimizu.  Maybe if I would have known who the director was I would have watched this sooner.
          I'm not sure I rate this one as scary.  It did get my heart going a few times in the first half, but after that, it wasn't scary.  It was more about trying to figure out what was really going on.  Trust me there is something rather intriguing going on in this movie.
          You are led to believe one thing in the beginning, and slowly you start to realize that isn't the case.  If you pay attention, you can discover the truth before it is told to you.  It's those kinds of movies I really enjoy.  I want to own this one.  The storyline is so well written that it gives you those subtle hints without completely revealing itself.

          I do suggest this movie.  It won't get much scare if any after the first half really, but the quality of the storyline will definitely make for a worthwhile use of your time.


No comments:

Post a Comment