Monday, September 20, 2010

Carved: The Slit-Mouthed Woman - Japan


          Director:  Kôji Shiraishi
          Year:  2002

          Plot:  "Legend holds that 30 years ago, a suburban town was terrorized by the spirit of a woman whose beautiful face had been grotesquely disfigured by a jealous husband.  Roaming the streets wearing a long coat and surgical mask, the spirit would approach her young victims and, while removing the mask, ask if she was pretty.  The victim's response would almost always lead to their violent death."


          One of the original Asian horror movie that I own is Carved - The Slit-mouthed Woman.  The plot is kind of hard to plainly state.  The movie is loosely based on the Japanese Urban legend Kuchisake-onna, which tells of a beautiful woman whose mouth was cut from ear-to-ear by a jealous lover.  The urban legend also goes that her ghost roams around wearing a surgical mask asking people "Am I pretty?"  If you were to answer yes, she would remove her mask, showing her disfigured face and ask, "How about now?"
          Carved doesn't exactly stick to the urban legend, but that doesn't mean it isn't a good movie.  The image of the slit-mouthed woman's face is rather eery, and had me going when I watched it late at night at my grandma's house (already a creepy place).  When I watched this movie, my sister watched it as well.  We were the only two awake, and toward the end of the movie, a scene came up where the ghost appeared, and my sister screamed, waking up our grandparents.  That was rather funny.

          If you are like me and don't scare easy, still check out Carved, it is a good movie even if it isn't really scary.  If you scare a little easy, you might just find this movie too your liking.  n.n


No comments:

Post a Comment