Monday, September 20, 2010

APT 9.56 - Korea


          Director:  Byeong-ki Ahn
          Year:  2006
          Plot:  "Se-jin, a young woman who lives in an old apartment in a Seoul suburb, amuses herself by observing the windows of the apartments on the other side.  One day, she notices that the lights of some of these apartments are turned off at the very same time.  She begins to suspect that this pattern is somehow related to a series of mysterious deaths in the neighborhood.  She becomes more and more deeply involved as she attempts to solve the mystery."

          The plot didn't really catch my attention when I first read it, and I had been searching for another movie with the same sort of title.  I decided to give it a chance anyway, and I am glad I did.  What I found is a rather interesting movie.  The featured ghost is reminiscent of Ju-on or The Grudge, but still different.
          The killings take place in a very vengeful way.  The people seem to be getting what they deserve based off what they did.  There is an exemption to this, but the others stick to a very vengeful pattern.  There is also a very big twist to the movie that I have to say I didn't see coming.  The twist has to do with the ghost.  The thing is, if I tell you anymore it will ruin it.

          In Closing, I suggest this, if you think you have seen too many grudge-like movies, you might not want to see this movie. If however, you like this sort of genre, which comes around a lot in asian horror, you should definitely check APT out. It is rather good despite some other people's reviews. n.n
          Also I would like to note that grudge like ghost occur a lot in Asian horror, much like crazy killers in American horror.  It is just a cultural thing.  People like them, so they are made in different ways often.   It just happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment