Tuesday, October 29, 2013

23:59 - Singapore

          Director:  Gilbert Chan
          Year:  2011
          Plot:  "When an army recruit is found dead, his fellow soilders are forced to confront a terrifying secret that's haunting their jungle island training camp."

          Looks like it is another Asian horror movie that I found myself watching despite telling myself I need to watch a different genre for my other blog Asian Movies.  Still, I am glad that I decided to watch this one, especially considering Halloween is nearing.  I mean I really didn't have any expectations for it, but Netflix said I would probably like it, so I thought why not.  I was pleasantly surprised by this movie.
          While I still didn't find it scary, it was definitely a eerie movie.  That is about as much as I can ask of a horror movie knowing my tendency to not be affected.  Still, the movie wasn't perfect, as there seems to be two (maybe even 3) different ghost stories going on here.  There is the woman and child, as well as a soldier who are show early on but don't necessarily connect to the story that unfolds at the end of the movie.  It's not really a bad thing, but it just didn't connect well with the outcome, so I saw them more as fillers.  They do add to the eerie feeling of the movie though, just story-wise, they aren't necessary.
          I have always found it interesting to see the beliefs of other cultures and seeing this take on ghost and even possession was interesting.  They are similar in many ways, but the slightest differences interest me.  I especially found it interesting that the Sargent notes that they don't march on Thursdays.  While it is not explained in the movie why exactly they don't (because intended audience would likely know), I did look it up and it has to do with ghosts being more active on Thursdays.  I am curious to know why that is, but it definitely makes the Sargent's comments logical.  If you are going to let superstition effect military stuff, why not listen to the Sargent when he says it isn't a good day to do the march.

          It's quite late, so I will finish this off.  I would definitely suggest watching this one.  The ending is a bit sad compared to a typical horror movie ending, but not at all too different from some of the Asian horror I have seen.  Still, the movie has an eerie feeling about it that won't easily disappoint someone looking for a good horror movie.  I wouldn't expect it to cause veteran horror watcher to sleep with the lights on, but it should be enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment